ISO 30000 – Ships and marine technology – Ship recycling management systems
ISO 30000 specifies requirements for a management system to enable a ship recycling facility to develop and implement procedures, policies and objectives in order to undertake safe and environmentally sound ship recycling operations. The Management system requirements take into account the relevant legal requirements, safety standards and environmental elements that the ship recycling facility needs to identify and comply to ensure safe and environmentally sound ship recycling.
ISO 30000 applies to the entire process of ship recycling which includes the following steps,
- Accepting a ship for recycling by the facility,
- Assessing the hazards on-board the ship,
- Identifying and complying with any applicable notification and import requirements for ships to be recycled,
- Ensuring the availability of social amenities (e.g. first aid, health checks, food and beverages);
- Storage and processing of materials and wastes from the ship;
- Waste stream and recycling stream management, including contractual agreements; and
- Documentation controls for the process, including any applicable notification of the final disposal of the vessel for process of product.
ISO 30000 is applicable to any ship recycling facility that wishes to:
- Establish, implement, maintain and improve a safe and environmentally sound management system for the recycling of ships,
- Assure itself of conformity with its stated safe and environmentally sound management policy,
- Demonstrate conformity with ISO 30000 by making a self-determination and self-declaration,
- Seeking confirmation of its conformance by parties having an interest in the facility such as customers,
- Seeking confirmation of its self-declaration by a party external to the organization,
- Seeking certification/registration of its management system by an external organization,
ISO 30000 Standard is applicable to all types of organizations irrespective of size or nature such as Ship Recycling, Ship Management, Waste Management and Recycling in UAE.
ISO 30000 certification provides following Benefits:
- Recycling in an environmentally sound manner,
- Gain competitive advantages over companies that do not undertake an environmentally sound ship recycling processes,
- Ensure Compliance with Statutory and Regulatory requirements for ship recycling,
- Ensure Greater employee retention and productivity through better working conditions,
- Reduce risk of work accidents,
- Improve and protect companies reputation
- Gain a lead against the competition.